05 June 2006

Mo' Foie

Used the small coconut-wood mortar and pestle from Thailand. Collected basil leaves while the spaghetti cooked in a pot barely large enough to hold it. Tore up leaves before putting them in the mortar and added a little coarse salt before pestling. Next time, though, I'll try mincing the leaves a little first. I had a reluctance, getting myself to add enough olive oil for all the parmesan I dumped in, which was lot, so it needed a lot... and forgot to add a little oil to the drained pasta while I worked on the paste-o, so it got a little wumpy. At the table, it turned out to need a little something. I got the duck fat. A smidge, swirled in, intensified the earthy parmesan notes, and darkened them to a lilly-pad's green, but not actually, with lovely-tasty mud tones and a few actual feathers. Gosh I love that goo. Anyway, this lunch of spaghetti with pesto was fun and foundational, and the remaining end of last week's famer's market sourdough loaf was a nice foil when dipped in wine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which farmer's market sells bread? And can we carpool to the next one? And will you quit showing off about the duck fat? Mine still sits, getting pushed farther and farther to the back of the fridge. Ask me about it in three years - I'm sure it will still be there...

Tip of the month: Southern Season is having it's annual sale. Everything is on sale now, but by the end of the month, all those crazy jams and cheezes will be like a DIME.
-E

shimmy said...

Anonnie, you da man. Mad tipz. Wutz "cheezes" [sic]? I try ta spell korrekt.

I'm gettin down there with the duck fat. And gettin' DOWN. But also gettin' down there. Running low on canard. Dang. Pack my gun. Pack my boots. Pack everything I own that shoots.

Malard's on the menu tonight, boys! Eatin' good in da neighborhood.

shimmy said...

Oh, and it's Frrrington.

Tuesdays. Let's.